MetaPost without limits
An 'alpha' release of MetaPost now available that implements dynamic memory allocation: no more 'Memory capacity exceeded !' messages.
The distribution files for MetaPost 1.500 (alpha) can be fetched from foundry.supelec.fr.
After a few months, last week I finally got a chance to go back to MetaPost development.
And high time too. Over the last two years, I gave about half a dozen talks on the forthcoming MetaPost 2 at TeX User group meetings without ever having anything to show, so I am afraid there are people out there that believe it is all vaporware. Not true! It is just a whole lot of work.
The production version of MetaPost (1.200) uses pre-allocated heap arrays for the memory that is needed by the figure descriptions as well as for the interpreted language itself. One of the big changes in MetaPost 2 is that all memory management will be done with standard malloc() / free() calls, and that is what I have been working on during the winter / early spring.
In the alpha 1.500, this part of the MetaPost 2 project is now implemented. After a few weeks to hunt down bugs in the new code, I'll be concentrating on the next stage: incorporating arbitrary precision mathematics libraries.
New on TLContrib